Shadow People: Quickening of the Wicked > Club
Book Club Discussion Facilitator
1. Do you consider the story a metaphor for the present state of humanity?
2. More specifically, do you feel the world is more immersed in negativity and fear than positivity and hope?
3. Do you see Grace's parents as an example of bad religion in the world today?
4. Were Grace's parents too literal in their interpretation of the bible?
5. Do you believe Lily's family was an example of American materialism and greed?
6. What was your understanding of the way in which Aeden disposed of the Shadows?
7. Do you think it is possible to use Aeden's method of eradicating the Shadows to rid all the negative situations in our lives?
8. Do you believe the way of Aeden is possible with practice, thought discipline, and belief to the point of knowing?
9. Of all of Aeden's teachings, which ones stand out to you as being the most important?
10. Why, if our best selves find the horrific repulsive, do we like to read horror stories?
11. Do you think it is because we entertain our basest instincts with horrifying gore, monsters, insanity, and the supernatural?
12. Do you read horror because you want to be frightened?
13. Do you agree with researchers who claim that horror stories call up primal behavior to assess threat levels?
14. What do you think of social scientists' suggestions that we read horror for the adrenaline rush, the distraction from mundane life, to thumb our noses at social norms, or to catch a voyeuristic glimpse of the horrific from a safe distance?
15. What would you do if the world were overtaken by shadows that turned humans into savage zombies?
16. Do you think it would be better to stay with a group or go it alone?
17. What if everyone you knew turned into a zombie, how would you handle it?
18. Would you kill your friends or family members if they became zombies?
19. If you became a zombie, would you want someone to kill you?
20. Would you give up your life for another?